Hot Chocolate Cookies
Hot chocolate is one of the most requested drinks in our house during the winter months. And it is usually enjoyed with a side of fresh baked cookies. And what better cookie to pair with hot chocolate than a hot chocolate cookie?
These cookies have quickly become a family favourite and I get many requests from friends, not only to baked them, but they want the recipe as well. Many of those requests come at Christmas when cookie exchanges are happening at places of work.
Hot Chocolate cookies are easy to make and the dough can be made in advance and refrigerated up to 48 hours before baking. My kids enjoy these cookies freshly baked so I make the dough in advance and then bake only half the batch one day and the other half the next. This way the kids have fresh baked cookies to go with their hot chocolate as an after school snack. The kids also enjoy these when they come home from skating or tobogganing.
Ingredients for Hot Chocolate Cookies
I have never tried making these with a flavoured hot chocolate. I have only used regular hot chocolate when making this recipe.
The marshmallows in the recipe are dried or dehydrated because real marshmallows don’t have the same effect and only melt in the oven, creating a mess.
If you can’t find dehydrated marshmallows, hot chocolate mix with marshmallows can be used. In this case the marshmallows are added at the same time as the hot chocolate and may break up while mixing. If you have the time, the marshmallows can be separated from the mix before making the cookies.
The mini chocolate chips can be replaced with regular sized chocolate chips or a mix of flavoured chips. I have used a mix of chocolate and salted caramel chips to create different flavours.
This site contains affiliate links to products. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 eggs
- 3¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup hot chocolate mix, not unsweetened or flavoured
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- mini dehydrated marshmallows
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and milk and beat until smooth and well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Top each cookie with 3-4 marshmallows, pressing marshmallows into dough.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container.