Is there a better crowd-pleaser than pizza? Is there anyone who does not like pizza? This recipe for homemade pizza dough using “00” flour is easy to make and great for a crowd or large family.
My kids are pizza lovers but it becomes costly to order out when you have five teenagers who all want different toppings. And the cheaper options for pizza are just as they advertise: cheap. There is one pizza place that is low cost but there pizza is so thin and lacks toppings. So much so that my teenage boys can eat a large pizza each. That adds up when three large pizzas are needed just for them.
Mike and I prefer good pizza. But that comes at a cost. Four large good pizzas would cost close to $90. We needed to find a solution to our pizza dinners because the older the kids get, the more they eat. Not to mention that we love leftover pizza for lunch or breakfast the next day.
So I started having homemade pizza days. I would make a couple of batches of pizza dough bake up our own pizzas. But there was something lacking in the flavor and texture of the crust.
After a search online for making better pizza crust, I came across a few recipes that used “00” flour. I had not heard of this flour before but I started searching the grocery aisles for it. And it was not easy to find. Local Italian shops carry it but there were none in my area. We drove to Little Italy and found a little store that carried it. Later I found “00” flour at Loblaw stores under their President’s Choice Black Label brand. That is where I have been buying it since.
Back home, I tested recipe after recipe to get the final results of this one. It took a few tries but the final result was worth it. Our kids love this pizza crust. It is easy to make and can be made in the oven or on the grill. Our favorite way to bake pizza is on the Weber Kettle Grill but it can also be done on a gas grill or the smoker.
The great thing about pizza is you can make your way. Add whatever sauce, toppings and cheese you want and you have your own creation. The kids love making these with their friends because they can make their way.
If you want smaller pizza, you can separate the dough into 12 pieces instead of six. I have done this when making extra pizza to freeze for another day. Don’t bake the pizza before freezing, wrap each pizza separately in plastic wrap, place in freezer bags and freeze. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425°F and cook for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is browned.
When making this recipe, it is recommended that the pizza is cooked on a pizza stone. The stone should be preheated before placing the pizza on it to cook. This will prevent the pizza from sticking to the stone. If you don’t have a stone, a regular pizza pan can be used by adding a little flour to the pan and not preheating it.
Homemade Pizza Dough with "00" Flour
- Pizza Stone is nice but not needed
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1¾ cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5-6 cups "00" flour
- Combine water, sugar and yeast in the bowl of stand mixer and stir
- Let sit 5-10 minutes until foamy
- With mixer on low speed, add salt and oil to water and yeast
- Add 5 cups of flour, one cup at a time until all ingredients are incorporated
- Increase speed to medium and knead for 5 mins, if dough is crumbly add 1 tbsp of water, if sticky, add 1 tbsp of flour at a time until dough forms a ball and sides of bowl are clean
- Turn dough on to floured surface and fold on to itself a few times
- Place in oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour until doubled in size
- Punch dough down and knead for 2 minutes. Divide into 6 equal pieces. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll or pat dough into a large circle of desired thickness, crust will rise during baking. Place on a floured pizza paddle
- Brush with a little olive oil. Top with favorite toppings and cheese
- Preheat oven or grill to 450°F with the pizza stone in the oven or on the grill to heat at the same time.
- Slide pizza from paddle to stone and cook for 12-15 minutes. If making on grill, make sure to close lid.
- Slice and enjoy