Grilled Sweet Potatoes are a perfect side dish. Quick and easy, this recipe makes a terrific side dish for a week night barbecue. They are great served with chicken, pork chops and even burgers.
Not everyone in our family likes sweet potatoes, so this recipe is small compared to our usual recipes. It calls for three medium sized sweet potatoes which will serve three to four people, depending on your appetite. The recipe can be easily doubled for a larger crowd or adjusted for a smaller recipe.
One of the best ways to serve these sweet potatoes is with a Chipotle dipping sauce. Here is my recipe for Homemade Chipotle Sauce that I make every time I make this recipe.
Making Crispier Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Soaking the sweet potatoes in water for 30 minutes before grilling helps to remove some of the starch. This helps to make a crispier outside of the sweet potato. It is important to dry the sweet potatoes with paper towels or kitchen towel before mixing the sweet potato wedges with the spices.
The addition of cornstarch in the spice mix also helps to crisp the outside of the sweet potatoes while grilling. This same concept is used in frying sweet potatoes fries.
While grilling the sweet potatoes, I brush them with the leftover oil and spices from the bottom of the mixing bowl when I turn them. This keeps them from sticking and ensures you get full flavour.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 3 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp corriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Peel the sweet potatoes
- Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges
- Soak the wedges in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes
- Mean while, mix all the spices together
- Preheat the barbecue to 350°F
- Drain the sweet potatoes and pat dry with paper towel
- Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl
- Add spices to the sweet potatoes
- Drizzle the olive oil over the sweet potatoes and toss to coat
- Place on grill and cook for 10-15, turning every 3-4 minutes, until cooked though
- Remove from grill and serve