Grilled sausages are a quick and easy dinner for hot summer days. Add a toasted garlic butter bun, a quick tomato sauce and cheese, and you have a delicious sandwich. Pair it with a side salad and you have a quick and easy meal.
When it comes to sausages, I usually use Italian sausages, hot or mild. Italian sausages are available at any grocery store or butcher’s shop. Other varieties of sausages work just as well.
Diced canned tomatoes with herbs are a great way to start the sauce. I use the smallest diced tomatoes available so that the sauce breaks down faster, but you still want to have a little chunkiness to the sauce. Fresh basil is added for flavour as well as Italian Season and chopped garlic.
For cheese, a mix of provolone, Parmesan and mozzarella is used. These cheeses mixed together are great for melting and add a lot of flavour. I find these three cheeses already shredded and mixed at my local grocery store, which makes it quicker to put this meal together.
Garlic butter can be easily made by grating garlic and mixing it with butter. But you can also buy prepared garlic butter to use. Either one can be spread on the buns before toasting.
Equipment for making Grilled Sausages on Toasted Garlic Butter Buns
This recipe is made on the BBQ, making it a great summer dish that is entirely cooked outside. Even the sauce is made in a pan on the grill. No burner required. But if you don’t have a grill, it can be made on the stove top.
You can use a gas grill or charcoal grill. Either one will yield great results. We have also made this meal on the smoker, adding a smoky flavour to the sauce. We like to use hickory or alder wood for smoking the sauce.
A foil pan place on the BBQ is used to cook the sauce. A 13 x 9 inch baking pan can also be used. The sauce cooks on one side of the grill while the sausages cook on the other side.
A baking sheet is used to melt the cheese once everything is put together. I have also placed the sandwich on the grill directly, but found that the cheese melts down onto the grills which creates a mess.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase we may earn a commission. Keep in mind that we link companies and their products because of their quality, not because of the commission we may receive from purchases. The decision is yours if you choose to buy something through these links.
Grilled Sausages on Toasted Garlic Buns
- BBQ or Grill
- 6 Italian Sausages
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 6 whole basil leaves
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 6 sausage buns
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1-2 cups shredded provolone, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese mix
- Heat BBQ to 350°F
- Place a foil pan on one side of the BBQ grill and reduce heat under pan to low
- Pour tomatoes, chopped garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in the foil pan and stir
- Place basil leaves on top of tomatoes
- On the other side of the grill, place the sausages over medium heat.
- Close lid and allow sausages to cook on one side for 5 minutes or until golden and grill marks are present
- Open lid, turn sausages over to cook on the other side.
- Stir tomato sauce and close lid and allow to cook 5 minutes longer
- Once sausages are golden on all sides and cooked through, add to the sauce and allow to cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mixed minced garlic with butter.
- Spread butter evenly over the insides of the buns
- Place open buns face down on grill over medium-high heat.
- Toast buns until light brown
- Flip buns over onto a sheet pan. Top each bun with a sausage and 2-4 Tbsp of the sauce.
- Top sausages with 3-5 Tbsp shredded cheese
- Place the sheet pan on the grill and close lid, allow cheese to melt
- Top with additional 2 Tbsp of the tomatoes and serve.