My family loves brownies and I am always trying to find new ways to make them. This recipe is a variation of my original brownie recipe. Espresso Brownies are moist and delicious and they make a great afternoon snack.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click these links and make a purchase we may earn a commission. Keep in mind that we link these companies and their products because of their quality, not because of the commission we may receive from purchases.
Turn these brownies into a decadent dessert by topping them with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. Or top it with whipped cream and fresh berries. Our favourite berry to top brownies is fresh raspberries, but strawberries taste good as well.
These brownies taste amazing when warm. To reheat them, place them on a microwave-safe plate, cover them with a slightly damp paper towel and microwave for 15 – 20 seconds.
This recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 13×9 inch pan, cooking time needs to be adjusted to 45 to 50 minutes. Espresso Brownies can be stored at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Once sliced, these brownies can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature.
Why Add Espresso to Brownies?
The addition of instant espresso intensifies the chocolate flavour. Any espresso powder will work. I use Nescafe Instant Gold Espresso which you can find on Amazon.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 8x8 baking pan or line with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Mix sugar, cocoa powder, flour , instant espresso powder, salt and baking powder together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just mixed
- Add melted, cooled butter until just mixed together.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Add extra chocolate chips if using. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until baked in the centre. You can check the brownies with a fork or toothpick, if it comes out clean, the brownies are ready.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan on a cooling rack.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week, or freeze for up to one month.