Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
When it comes to pumpkins, most people think of pumpkin pie or jack-o-lanterns. But pumpkin is so much more. This Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread is a great snack that is moist and delicious.
For most people, pumpkin is only used in the fall, mainly for Thanksgiving for pies. But I like to bake with pumpkin year round. Pumpkin not only adds flavor but using pumpkin in sweet breads also helps keep the bread moist. And using pumpkin means using less oil or fat in a recipe which is a bonus.
My kids love chocolate chips in everything so I am always looking for new ways to bake with chocolate that may be a little healthier than chocolate chip cookies. And pumpkin boasts a healthy amount of vitamins and fiber as well.
Any kind of chocolate chips can be used. Sometimes I use mini chocolate chips, other times dark chocolate chunks. It depends on the mood and what I am craving at the time, or what I have on hand.
The addition of pumpkin seeds on the top of the bread adds some crunch and extra vitamins and minerals. Raw seeds are what is used in this recipe, not roasted or salted. If you don’t like or don’t have pumpkin seeds, walnuts can be used instead. I have also made this bread without any seeds or nuts for the kids to take for school lunches.
Pumpkin Puree not Pie Filling
Make sure the canned pumpkin you use is pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. Many people have made this mistake, even I have made the mistake when buying canned pumpkin. I tried using pie filling and the result was not the same. The taste was too sweet and the bread did not hold together well after baking.
Storing Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
Store the prepared bread in an airtight container. Usually, I slice the bread into portions once completely cooled and wrap individually or in small containers for the kids to grab as a snack.
Looking for another recipe using pumpkin, try my Pumpkin Cake
This site contains affiliate links to products. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all-spice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a bread pan with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, pumpkin, oil and eggs. Add vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix until just blended.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle top with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing from pan and cooling on a rack.