Moist and delicious Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins make a great afternoon snack or quick breakfast. Full of flavor and easy to make.
Picking Wild Blueberries
Growing up, my grandmother, along with my mother and my aunts would take my cousins and me berry picking. In small-town Quebec, there were many areas of uninhabited fields of berries. I doubt these fields were owned by anyone because everyone picked berries along the side of the roads and deeper into the fields.
After picking pails of berries, back at my grandmother’s house she would make all kinds of pies and preserves. These memories are what inspire me to bake using fresh berries.
Berry picking is no longer something I do as much as I did when I was a kid. I now spend my summers in the city and there aren’t many fields around to go picking. So I use purchased berries.
Fresh or Frozen Blueberries?
In summer, when fresh blueberries are available almost everywhere, I make these muffins using fresh berries, I find at local farm markets.
In winter months I use frozen wild blueberries. I prefer wild blueberries because they are smaller and sweeter than the larger variety. Frozen wild blueberries are available at most grocery stores. I purchase them at Walmart, but they are available at Loblaws stores in Canada as well.
Easy To Make
This recipe is very easy to make and only takes 45 minutes from start to finish. My daughter makes it all the time for her boyfriend who loves these muffins.
Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins make a great any-time snack. They make a great afternoon snack paired with coffee or tea, or a quick breakfast for those busy mornings.
These blueberry muffins are made with buttermilk which adds a tangy flavor to the muffins. Making these without buttermilk produces a drier, less flavourful muffin. If buttermilk is not available, it can be made by adding ½ Tbsp of vinegar to a measuring cup, then adding milk to the measuring cup to make ½ cup.
Each muffin contains 231 calories and 9 grams of fat when made following the recipe (as per the happy forks recipe analyzer).
Looking for additional recipes using blueberries? Check out my Blueberry Lemon Loaf
Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1¼ cups white sugar
- 1 tsp clear vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 tsp white sugar for topping
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin papers
- Cream butter and sugar together until well blended
- Add egg and vanilla, and mix well
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl
- Add half the flour alternatively with half the milk, stir until just combined
- Repeat with remaining flour and milk
- Add ½ cup of blueberries and stir to break up the blueberries into the batter
- Gently fold the remaining berries into the batter
- Fill prepared muffin tin, filling each cup ⅔ full
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes
- Cool in pan 2-3 minutes before removing from pan to cooling rack
- Store in airtight container for up to 3 days