This Blueberry Lemon Loaf is loaded with blueberries and a hint of lemon. The sweetness of fresh blueberries and tartness of lemons combine to make a delicious loaf.
It is great for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. Pair with a cup of tea or coffee and you have a quick snack for anytime of day.
When cut into 10 slices, this loaf has only approximately 150 calories per slice (as per happyforks.com recipe analyzer, calories may change depending on the brand of ingredients used).
In the summer, when blueberries are in season, I make a few of these loaves and freeze them. When freezing, wrap the loaves separately in parchment paper before placing them in freezer bags. Blueberry Lemon Loaf can be frozen for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature before slicing.
Although the recipe calls for fresh blueberries, frozen blueberries can be used as well. When using frozen blueberries, toss them in a tablespoon of flour to coat before folding into the batter.
Blueberry Lemon Loaf
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tap lemon juice
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cups white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a loaf pan or line with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix together buttermilk, oil, egg, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix to just combine
- Gently fold in blueberries
- Pour into prepared pan
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Cool in pan 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Slice and serve