When it comes to cupcakes, chocolate is a favourite. Who doesn’t love chocolate? And a chocolate cupcake is a quick and delicious way to enjoy a rich chocolatey treat. This is my best chocolate cupcake recipe.
I make these cupcakes for birthday parties and they are always a hit with the kids and adults alike. I also get requests from family and friends to make these. They pair well with coffee which makes them great for a coffee date with friends.
The ingredients make this the best chocolate cupcake recipe
These chocolate cupcakes are made with strong coffee which brings out the flavor of the chocolate. Espresso is my choice. You can use hot water in place of the coffee if you prefer. I use hot water, not boiling, when making these for my kids’ sports teams or a school bake sale.
Cornstarch is also added to the flour to add texture to the finished product. I don’t use cake flour, but it can be used in this recipe and omit the cornstarch.
To make these cupcakes, all ingredients should be at room temperature, including the egg and milk. I usually take the milk and eggs out of the fridge about 30 minutes before starting to bake. Placing them in the warmest area of the kitchen usually brings them to room temperature quickly.
When I make these, I top them with a vanilla buttercream, but you can use any flavor or type of frosting. We have eaten these without any icing or frosting, they have enough flavor to enjoy them on their own.
Can you make this into a cake?
Although this recipe can be used to make a cake, if you are looking to bake a cake, try my chocolate cake recipe. It is similar but makes a better cake than the cupcake recipe.
This site contains affiliate links to products. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.
Best Chocolate Cupcakes
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup freshly brewed, hot strong coffee
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper liners
- Add cocoa powder and coffee to a large bowl and stir until cocoa powder is fully dissolved.
- Add sugar and vegetable oil to cocoa and coffee mixture and stir well.
- Using electric mixer, blend in milk and egg, Mix until well blended.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine.
- Beat mixture on low speed for 1 minute, switch to medium speed and continue beating for 4-5 minutes
- Fill prepared muffin cups about ⅔ full
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cupcake comes out clean
- Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire racks before decorating