BBQ Beer Cheese Queso
Who doesn’t love to dip a tortilla chip in cheese sauce? It is one of our favourite ways to eat tortilla dips especially when the cheese dip has been made outside on the BBQ. And this recipe for BBQ Beer Cheese Queso is one of our favourites.
This recipe combines the great tastes of Beer Cheese and Queso Dip. The flavours all come together in this dip to make a dip that is easy to make and perfect for a get together.
Unlike other queso dips that are currently trending, this recipe doesn’t call for Velveeta. This recipe only calls for eight simple ingredients that you may already have on hand.
One note that I have to make about the ingredients is that we use full fat cheeses. We have not tried this recipe using any type of reduce fat or reduced calorie cheeses. We don’t know what the results would be if the recipe is made using low fat or reduced calorie cheeses.
Sharp Cheddar – We like using sharp cheddar because it adds tons of flavour. You could use mild or medium cheddar but the end result won’t have the same flavour.
Mozzarella – There is a small amount of mozzarella in this dip. Mozzarella melts really well, making it a perfect addition to the dip.
Cream Cheese – This is where the dip gets its creaminess.
Ground beef- We use lean ground beef and drain it so it doesn’t add to the oils in the dip. There is enough oil in the cheese in this dip, so you want to make sure the meat is drained well before making the dip.
Beer – Any beer you have on hand will do. Just make sure it is cold.
Jalapeno – We use one to two jalapenos depending on how hot we want the dip to be.
Bacon – Bacon adds a bit of saltiness and flavour.
Salsa – Mild, medium or hot salsa can be used.
We make BBQ Beer Cheese Queso on the gas grill usually, but we have used the charcoal barbecue as well. The smoker is another option to make this recipe.
We use aluminum pans to make this dip. This makes it easy to clean up. A Dutch Oven also works well on the BBQ to make this Queso.
Variations/ Substitutions/ Additions
The beef in this recipe can be replaced with ground pork or ground sausage meat.
In the summer when our garden is plentiful, we add fresh diced tomatoes and diced green or red peppers from our garden.
The jalapeno in the recipe can be substituted with any type of hot peppers. We have used Serrano peppers in place of the jalapenos.
Ideas for serving BBQ Beer Cheese Queso
This dip should be served warm. Use tortilla chips for dipping.
We love to serve this when we have company over. It goes well with a cold beer or a glass of wine.
Another great way to enjoy this dip is over a camp fire. We cube the cheese beforehand and store it in a freezer bag. It will keep in a cooler for a few days.
If you are looking for a Queso without beer try our Barbecue Queso Dip.
BBQ Beer Cheese Queso
- ½ pound lean ground beef, cooked and drained of fat
- 700 grams sharp cheddar, cubed
- 300 grams mozzarella, cubed
- 250 grams cream cheese, cubed
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- ⅓ cup cold beer
- ½ cup salsa
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
- Preheat BBQ to 350°F (medium heat)
- Place cooked ground beef, cubed cheddar, mozzarella and cream cheese and jalapeno in a pan.
- Cover pan with foil wrap
- Place pan on preheated BBQ
- Close lid and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes
- Stir and continue to cook stirring until all cheeses are melted (mixture may be oily on top, that's OK)
- When cheeses are melted, slowly add cold beer into cheese mixture, stirring constantly, until beer is mixed in
- Add salsa and bacon.
- Stir to mix all ingredients together. If oily, stir until oil is mixed back in and no longer visible.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips